Sunday, March 21, 2010

Constructing [IN]Coherence

The aim of this blog, perhaps the aim of most blogs, is to give the incoherence of my experiences and thoughts a context in which they might take on at least some semblance of coherence. Of course, the paradox [the absurdity] of the human epistemological condition [our hopeless desire to know] is that our predilection for coherence is incongruous with the overwhelming complexity, ambiguity, and contradiction inherent in the world we inhabit. The consequence of this incongruity is that at the core of understanding is incoherence. Obviously, this means that in my feeble attempt to construct some coherent understanding of the world around me, I should simultaneously hope to make both your and my world less coherent.

So that’s what this blog will be about: relinquishing our predilection for coherence. Constructing incoherence.

Re-reading the six sentences I just wrote, I’d say we’re off to a pretty good start.

In conclusion, Camus:
“Of whom and of what indeed can I say: ‘I know that!’ This heart within me I can feel, and I judge that it exists. This world I can touch, and I likewise judge that is exists. There ends all my knowledge, and the rest is construction.”

1 comment:

  1. Garret,

    My friend, words cannot express how ecstatic I am for you. You always said you would travel to the place where the river splits the world in half. I can and will not make any comments on your post as I need to read the entire piece. And anyway as you know my comments would only amuse you and provide little or no coherence. I can only express my happiness for you and state the obvious; you deserve the experience. For the few months I have know you and the travels we both experienced your ability to understand the most complex situations on earth are well deserved in the Middle East. I for one can say that I have no experience with the Middle East except the shot fling I had with a man form Jordan (NEVER AGAIN!)and maybe the news at 5:00pm. No other person as far as I am concerned would have the ability to peer into a new world and construct a "ISP" (lol) like the one you have written. I salute you with the highest regard. I will continue to read your posts and remember walls in Belfest, the painting on walls in a weird mans house, the night we got drunk in Mayo and danced all night to Kanye, any many more nights. I wish you the best and hope you will comment back as I have not talked to you in forver. If you see Eline tell her I said high and that I miss her.

    Love and peace always,

    Merri

    ReplyDelete